Introduction to Bayesian Networks Using Netica
Next Date: August 22-24
Location: 8230 Old Courthouse Road, Suite 460, Vienna, VA 22182
Time: 8:30am to 4:30pm
Course Description: The course focus is on constructing and analyzing Bayesian networks (BNs) in Netica - from simple models for learning the basics to more complex, real-world applications for learning advanced features. Through a hands-on learning process, students will have the opportunity to explore examples and work on networks from their own work places during class exercises.
The cost is $1950 which includes snacks each day. A discount of $200 for early registration by June 5th is available. We also offer a $200 discount for multiple persons from the same organization. Only one discount can be used.
A temporary student license for the Netica software will be provided. Students do not need to purchase Netica for the course. PLEASE bring your own laptop. The course is very hands-on. Click here for this info in a pdf format.
Course Topics (order is subject to change):
- Building a simple Bayesian network (BN) – drug testing
- Just enough probability
- A complete diagnostic BN - Liver diagnosis case study
- Elicitation of BN structure and probabilities
- Causal Models
- Troubleshooting systems - Netica car diagnosis example
- Troubleshooting systems - Industrial system example
- Learning probabilities for a BN from data
- Student Workshop (opportunity to work on your own BN problem)
- D-Separation and sensitivity to findings
- Combining expert knowledge and data
- BN Building Practicum
- Learning structure for a BN from data
- Netica API
- Student Workshop
- Learning a BN with continuous variables
- Introduction to GeoNetica™
- Student Workshop
- Dynamic Bayesian networks / Incorporation of evidence over time
Advanced topics available on a case-by-case basis
- Continuous variables - Model aggregation example & discretization
- Named probability distributions in Netica
- Inference and basics of the propagation algorithm behind BNs
- Bayesian network formulation practicum – build lots of BNs
- Decision making in Netica using influence diagrams
- Intro to integrating Netica with Excel
- Using the Netica library in the ExtendSim discrete event simulation
Terms and Conditions
Payment must accompany registration. Registration closes 7 calendar days before the first day of the course. Reservations are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
We welcome the enrollment of a substitute in an enrollee’s place, provided the customer notifies us in writing before the first day of the course. IDI will credit 100% of any prepaid course fees against the course fee of the substitute.
Refunds, less a $100 cancellation fee, will be given for cancellations made 7 or more calendar days before the first day of the course. After that, only student substitutions will be allowed.
We reserve the right to cancel or reschedule; if we do, you will receive a full refund.
Enrollees are strongly encouraged to bring their own laptops to participate in class examples. Please contact IDI if this is a problem.
IDI will provide drinks and light snacks each day. The course fee does not include lodging, lunch, evening meals, travel or any other expenses that may be incurred by our customer.